PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vacancies at EGNX
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2016, 20:24
Local Variation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a PPL based at East Mids for the best part of 18 years now, I think I am pretty well balanced to comment here.

Firstly, I know people in ATC at NX and have been to the tower twice. Some of them are pilots themselves receiving local ATC from their own colleagues, so they know and work both sides of the coin. They are also very welcoming of feedback, so take up the offer afforded to see them. They won't bite.

Most importantly, this is a commercial airfield and an SEP negatively impacting on that is going to be an issue. As based, we all know and accept that. You may wait at S1 if a 737 is joining alpha off the apron. You will wait at S1 if a 737 is at 6 to 8 miles. We have a view on why that is, but the answers are best offered from ATC. Suffice to say, we are comfortable with what we understand to be the reasons.

That doesn't stop you being frustrated time to time, but the bigger picture is understood.

About 3 years ago now, we had an SEP enter the zone and get lost in the zone, crossing the runway low level multiple times. I was held on base for around 25 mins. A waiting queue of commercial held at alpha and the comments made toward the lost individual were not pleasant from those waiting. I imagine the airfield were put under some pressure, thereafter. That lost SEP was a major threat to my basing. Yet, and thankfully, here we are still here today being supported as we were then.

When it comes to services to those in the air. I can't fault them at all. In all my flying hours out of NX, I am struggling to recall any accounts of hearing requests being declined without a genuine reason being offered. Countless times, they've provided me with great support for adhoc requests at short or no notice, integrating me with prevailing commercial traffic.

It's not just NX, Coventry, Brum and I must specifically mention Luton as well.

Superb the lot of them and I for am very grateful for them supporting all of us in our pursuits.