PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helisport CH-77 - New ultralight helicopter
Old 2nd Sep 2016, 14:59
Hot and Hi

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmm, that doesn't sound good! However, it has to be noted that according to the accident reports that you linked these were Cicare CH-7's, not Heli-Sport. I understand the Italian Heli-Sport has bought the design for the CH-7 from the Argentinians; not sure to what degree there are differences between the two products.

The accident report is really detailed and excellent! In many countries, a crashed ultra-light wouldn't even justify an investigation. I am impressed!

The investigation for the 2015 accident is not yet complete; there is no report yet. But the report for the earlier 2014 (VH-SWQ) accident confronts the reader with a real non-compliance extravaganza:

- The aircraft was heavily modified without any documentation, let alone testing of the impact of such modifications.
- It had signs of a hard landing (deformation) and no records of a related inspection or repairs.
- Self-made, non-compliant replacement parts (e.g., carb throttle support) were used for repairs.
- The attachment for the vertical stabiliser (that fell off in flight) was known to be cracked, and the manufacturer (Cicare) had advised to ground this aircraft pending the fitting of new stabiliser assy.
- Excessive tail vibration (that we now believe were caused by the already loose vertical stabiliser) were attributed to TR imbalance. The vibrations didn't get better after two attempts to balance the TR blades, and yet they continued to operate the aircraft.

On the regulatory side:

- Maintenance and repairs that were done at all, were done by non-authorised personnel, and were not documented.
- The aircraft was out of MPI at the time of the accident. Several due maintenance activities had been skipped.
- The operator didn't have an AOC, nor was the pilot commercially rated.
- The pilot didn't have a game rating.
- The pilot made contradictory statements about his fix wing flying experience (varying between 300 and 9.000 HRS) but had probably only 50 HRS TTRW.

If you applied all the above cruelties to a type-certified aircraft, I am sure it will equally fall out of the sky. So I guess we have to look elsewhere to see whether the CH-7, or the CH-77 for that matter, is a safe kit helicopter.