PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2016, 12:57
Boomerang

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
For guys thinking of joining:
Average hours for last 7 years: 640/year. Never cracked 700hours.

Annual summary 2015 around $130+ with almost no OT, 2016: $185+ to give you an indication of bonuses and a fair amount of OT. I am a level 3 320 FO. Day off payments are rare in my base as we aren't flogged as hard. This financial year will probably be about 700-750hrs when I finally do the logbook before my next medical.
Overtime and day off payments vary greatly from base to base (extra 300hrs or $50k at a guess) that will also change a little as crewing levels change. If you want to do less hours, try Flexi line.

Jetstar does offer a few lifestyle options (long haul vs short haul, flexi line and choice of base) (control over your roster definitely is NOT one) but you will be working for the rest of your life. Time to command: current upgrades I'm guessing have been here 9 years or more. I've been here over 8 and if I'm lucky I may have a chance next year. Not sure about time to command for new joiners but I guess Jetstar doesn't have the retirement rate or fleet growth that many mature airlines have. JQ has had its growth spurt. If you're just looking for a step up, that probably doesn't phase you.

Biggest pro for me: time at home with family. Stable employer.
Biggest negative: No roster control/input (apart from a few day off requests which are unpredictable). It is and always will be a LCC.