PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Regional Headhunting
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 15:12
striker26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry guys (for my last post) i should have been more detailed...he went on to do his conversions and then CFI in Canada. What i am saying is sure if you have experience im sure a regional will hire/sponsor you if the pool gets very lean but i wouldn't bank on a US school considering the cost and the added pressure of getting a low hour job there (for international students). Even ATP flight school back in the day stated they will only sponsor Modular training, not the Cadet scheme. So after your CPL, if you're lucky you will continue to get sponsored as a CFI.

My point was that for Canadian's there isn't a reason to go down to Florida to do training AND pay housing and currency conversion. Sure our winters and weather is an issue but would a few months really make a difference when you can save on transport/housing/conversion/time and fees?

The US has a good problem on their hands, lots of need for regional pilots and im sure the majors will continue to expand and have retirees. Here in Canada what sucks is that you spend 1-2 years instructing after your CPL, 2-4 years at a regional flying a Navajo, only to get an interview for a low paying q400 FO job for another 4 before you can even think about an a320/737. And mind you'll be hovering around a 35-45k salary for almost a decade.

Like Tinstaafl mentioned, hardly attractive. We have enough pilots here in Canada, just not attractive positions given the time required to a jet! There are many pilots here who would jump ship down south to fly a CRJ/ERJ at 1500hrs than flying a prop for a decade and for many of my fellow mates i hope that day comes.

Bash me all you want for this, but the days of flying a prop for 8 years to prove you can fly a jet are over, just look in the UK/ME and Asia and even the US now with regionals grabbing people right at 1500. They got MPL programs and iATPL programs buzzing. Maybe im just naive about the aviation industry in Canada, but until you get to a major, the package is hardly better than a full time retail job at a mall, especially here up North!