PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Map reading techniques.. what do you use and does it work?
Old 23rd Jul 2003, 18:44
cficare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few of my thoughts!!!

KKKeep Nav as simple as possible

THE LESS CRAP ON YOUR CHART THE BETTER

If you are going from a to b then draw a srtaight line joining the points(this is your "flight planned track")

Prepare your flight plan with the forecast winds and calculate headings and time intervals

After TKOF, intercept the flight plan track visuallly and then turn to planned heading

PINPOINT where you are on the chart (Iuse a 2B pencil to mark my position and record the time(UTC) that i an at it eg, "28" mins past the hour

Now I RELAX and concentrate my efforts in keeping the aircraft at the planned altitude and heading- easy if your in trim.

I also spend 90% + of my time looking outside

After say 15 to 20 mins again pinpoint your position on the map and note time at that position

Aline joining these 2 points is your "Track made Good" that is the actual line the aircraft flew over the ground (it rarely has anyrelationship to your planned track!!!)

NOW the 1 in 60

Chances are you need to go from your last pinpoint to B or even an ALTERNATE.

Simple

Draw a`line from the pinpoint to where you want to go

Slap your protractor centre over the last pinpoint with the 'tail' of the protractor(180degrees) along the track made good

Read off from the 360 degree line of the protractor the number of degrees you need to turn left or right to track to the destination
If its to the left then Subtract that many degrees from your flight planned heading , turn aircraft to new heading and your on your way (what you have just done is a 1 in 60 without the bull****

Hope this is of interest, i havent mentioned updating your estimates 'cos my finger is tired

Regards