PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 30th Apr 2016, 07:26
REDHANDED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A truly tragic accident. Horrifying video of the final moments and images that no aviator would ever wish to see. I only hope that this terrible event will provoke some serious, honest discussions about safety but the cynic in me knows otherwise.
How quickly everyone rushes to deflect blame and responsibility.
After the previous accidents involving the type I was sickened to learn that the HUMS had detected signs of impending failure in 2 or 3 flights prior to the accident. Why are operators so reluctant to use the data available to stop accidents like this happening? Why are the authorities so against forcing the operators to monitor and use the HUMS data? Why are the manufacturers trusted beyond logical reason and not forced to produce more useable safety monitoring? I couldn't believe that the authorities accepted returning the puma to service after the last grounding under the terms that they did - allowing aircraft to operate with a known defect in a critical component. What could possibly motivate such a decision, certainly not true safety.
All the corporate proclamations about safety being the primary concern ring very hollow after incidents like this. I fear that costs get in the way of true safety every time.
So will we see a repeat of the process from the other offshore accidents which does very little to prevent further accidents even though the causes are clearly identified? Sad, very sad.