PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - low cost 900 hr vs EK 900 hr
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2016, 23:25
jack schidt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I have done my share of multi sector European flying and have been at EK for a reasonable time. This is my fair and un biased (of any company name) thoughts on ULR flying in comparison to short haul multi sector flying.

Short haul = tiring v ULR = particularly fatiguing

Short haul = local well known airspace v ULR = the globe is your area of operation

SH = known seasons and expected weather v ULR = there's always every kind of weather on the planet at all times somewhere you may go to.

SH = familiar airports v ULR = you can't remember the globe and can divert anywhere at any time.

SH = same crew for the day v ULR can be with the same crew 9+ days ( so you better get along)

SH = seeing your family most days v ULR = periods away from family

SH = more piloting the aircraft v ULR = you might end up doing 1 take off and landing a month

SH doesn't radiate you over the pole v ULR = like smoking back in the 60s, no one really knows the true health implications until many years later.

SH = ATC known standards v ULR the USA, AUS have ILS PRMs or SOIA approaches and other aviation issues, get used to a lot of new lingo and changes.

SH = known procedures and standards v ULR = QFE meters to QNH feet conversions and transition altitudes of heights above your normal cruising altitude.

SH = consolidated procedures v ULR that considers Threshold Weigths, DARDs, HF, NAT track procedures, CPDLC,

SH = doing 4 sectors and going back home to bed v ULR = a flight time alone around 16 hours without the pre and post flight duties.

To SPECIFICALLY ANSWER which one is more tiring, the bean counters have their hands into all companies globally. All pilots everywhere are getting worked hard, we are ALL tired. ULR means being awake in a hotel through the night and asleep through the day pretty often. Sitting in your hotel room all night, watching foreign TV is not a glamorous lifestyle some think it maybe. If I had my time again, I am sure I would not chose the same path I have been along.

I could go on but I am sure you are getting the picture..

J

Last edited by jack schidt; 20th Apr 2016 at 23:38.