PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe
Thread: Flybe
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2016, 10:36
BugSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Prop Prejudice

Hi All,

The TP prejudice, sadly, is still there; or more accurately disappearing slowly as more and more people move through the ZFT system.

Many carriers twigged that the CAP 804 requirements for ZFT covered pretty much every TP aeroplane except a handful of sub 19 seaters. This was fantastic news for those who wanted an opportunity to leave TP carriers. Hence we find ourselves in the current (positive) pilot movement situation. Good for the top end, good for the middle and good for new starters.

What has become apparent is that there is ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT from those who have never worked with a Q400 of the capability it has. The Q400 was designed to operate in a jet environment at TP efficiency and it does it very well. More-or-less full glass cockpit, 285Kts TAS cruise, slippery little bugger, 235 down-wind => 210, 180Kts on base and 160 to 4d; it is a jet in all but name. I have flown jets that are easier to manage energy on.

The usual response when all this is explained: "...oh! Its not a Shed then?...". Yes. Thats right. MOST modern TP's are most certainly not Sheds (Shorts 360 for the youngsters).

These people with an awareness gap cannot be blamed for their lack of understanding. How many of us really understand the finer points of another carriers SOP's and/or types if they appear to be at the other end of the spectrum to our own?

What is encouraging is the response of training departments to the TP drivers "making the difficult transition to jet" (). The recognition that a good apprenticeship has been served elsewhere on a challenging type is growing by the month.

The middle managers (and at least one very senior manager I know at a major charter outfit) are already aware that gap exists between reality and words written in a manual. Things are changing albeit a little slowly.

Apologies for the fairly lengthy post!

In summary, the TP "capability gap" is closing now with the advent of ZFT rules changing a couple of years ago. As more carriers move towards Skills Lists/Competencies (the updated stance on NOTECHs) this snobbery will disappear. I've certainly started to see this where I am now and it is VERY positive.