PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liberal Party wins, Bombardier wins
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 18:25
striker26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
galaxy flyer - according to my source who is an engineer at BBD, they designed the plane to maximize interchangeability of as many parts used on the CRJ but im assuming some parts on aircraft are already universal.

Willie - AC bought 75 of the CSeries from BBD because they got a discount and it fit their finances as you stated. Any airline would. I ask you, why hasn't any other airline bought numerous CSeries for their fleet? You think its simply because they cant agree onto a number? I think it's because the initial price tag is already too high for the plane, the only reason as per the various news reports this week AC bought 75 is because they got a HUGE discount. The billions infused into BBD as subsidies allowed them to lower the cost significantly. The new EMB jet is significantly lower on the price tag, more haggle room, im sure we'll see lots more EMB order upcoming. The airplane simply took too long to come into market, especially a market thats already been developed.

I think AC had ordered 61 737 MAX to initiate their short/medium fleet renewal and were going to delay the the remainder until they got a deal just like this.

Peekay as you stated "they have to downmarket the aircraft and compete against regional jets." - This is the main issue i am sure many airlines looking at the CSeries are having, why buy such an expensive aircraft for short haul or CRJ/Q400/ERJ replacement. AND why for a route say JFK-LAX would you buy a CSeries and transport 133 or 160 pax when you can get a 737 or a320 and do 149/200/220 pax? Yes the price tag is higher but efficiency is not gained with the CSeries in terms of pax. Then there is EMB E2, if you really want something smaller than a 737/a320, why would you pay 20 million more for a CSeries when you can get an EMB for cheaper. The airplane is in a world of trouble. They will sell, but not at the rate to support the cost and that's what sucks. They need billions in aid. Yes, they are Canada's only international aircraft maker but honestly their vision needs to change, maybe that CEO should fork some of his salary to reduce the selling price.