PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liberal Party wins, Bombardier wins
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2016, 14:44
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GF

Yes. I've been in aviation since 1976. Employed as a pilot since 1978. Still am today. I'm not and have never been involved in determining fleet composition, financing or purchasing aircraft.

What I suggest is further reading regarding the Dash 8's landing gear issues. The problem was in-house maintenance at Horizon and SAS, not exclusively Bombardier. But, since you're in aviation, I suspect you already knew that from following that particular collapsing gear issue.

Horizon was having a disagreement with BBD over an engine issue at that time but Bombardier sales of the CRJ continue today. City Jet recently ordered 10 900s. How long between sales I doubt has or had anything to do with Horizon's Q400 gear problems.

Since you mentioned it, Horizon stayed away from Bombardier over an argument concerning CF34 replacement. Horizon pilots "cooked" a couple of CF34s by using the High Power Schedule switch in flight when they knew never to use it and whose use is prohibited by the FAA and CRJ Limitations in the AFM. Horizon believed Bombardier should pay for replacement engines. Bombardier didn't agree. Therefore the falling out.
The FAA insisted the High Power Schedule switch be installed on FAA registered RJs, not Transport Canada or EASA. So, I think Horizon's anger might have been better directed at the pilots involved and the FAA. one man's opinion

I wouldn't blame Bombardier or their products for pilot stupidity or maintenance issues.

You're right. Airlines do know what aircraft suits their needs and most are unlikely to buy what isn't needed or suited. I suspect Air Canada also know whether or not the C series fits into their fleet planning and future needs. But, if you believe there's political maneuvering and arm twisting involved in making that sale, fair enough. I don't.

I've heard Alaska Airlines have been discussing C series with Bombardier, but as we both know, it's 'out of scope' for Horizon. It's an aircraft, should Alaska decide to purchase, that could shrink Horizon's network.

Who knows? Like you, I'm only offering an opinion and my perspective. GF, I always enjoy your posts, whether we agree or disagree.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 21st Feb 2016 at 15:05.