PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 15th Feb 2016, 06:30
RealUlli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New "kid" on the block?

I seem to recall a recent thread about a pilot who had eye trouble for a couple of days after a laser incident. I think that also was in London.

In that thread, someone argued that due to beam divergence, dispersion and attenuation of the beam, the laser either had to be really powerful (several watts!) or it just couldn't have happened as described.

Is it possible there's someone out there who has a *REALLY* powerful laser (strong enough to cut through metal at short distances) who is targeting planes?

If so, that someone really needs to be apprehended and very publicly trialled - pay for all the damages and probably go to jail for a while. This also needs to be publicised (spelling?) quite well so others don't follow his example.

I still think it is still not perceived as dangerous by most of the population, they more likely go like "Gee, look how far this shines, I wonder if I can get a reflection off that aircraft over there". Unfortunately, planes are about the farthest object a city dweller can see without leaving home and has a chance to reflect something off of.

Quite possibly, that idiot got a new toy, really powerful, and was showing off to a mate, "look, I can make that aircraft over there light up"...

Edit: Tourist beat me to it - he found the post I was referring to. :-)

Last edited by RealUlli; 15th Feb 2016 at 06:31. Reason: Update with credit to Tourist