PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self fund type rating / 500 hour Line training is there a job
Old 19th Jan 2016, 01:00
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the sentiment to not ever pay for a type rating. All it does is bring our profession to its knees as pilots are willing to be the proverbial prostitute for airline CEOs. Most of us would like to fly big metal one day, but I sure as hell am not going to give what little in savings I have to pay for it.

You forget: airlines still need pilots - two of them for the small stuff, up to four for the big ones. If none of us pay for a type rating, then the airline is forced to pay for all the training costs for all of us. Position competition then goes back the way it was and pilots are no longer in the excessive amount of debt that they currently are chasing type ratings like they're a badge.

Also...say you do an A320 type rating. Well, now you're no good to that B737 operator. In effect, all you've done is spent a lot of hard-earned money to limit your options, not improve them as you thought you would.

As long as even one pilot is willing to throw the rest of us under the bus, airline CEOs will continue to take advantage of us. Low wages, poor benefit packages...everything suffers when you agree to work for free - or worse, pay to work.