PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liberal Party wins, Bombardier wins
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2015, 21:47
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunck

You'll get no argument from me regarding your assessment of BBD or the present state of the industry, they certainly have benefitted from government 'assistance' in whatever form you'd like to highlight. I would also agree with Jet that aerospace in Canada would suffer a gigantic blow (my words, not his) if BBD were to collapse and I'd say many in government know that. Too many aerospace companies and jobs at stake because of the way things are all tied in and networked. The Feds should step up, but they should also think about a return as a risk sharing partner. One thing is for sure and certain, the Canadian government is a not-for-profit organization, so it's unlikely, if they decide to give BBD assistance, there will be any strings attached.

I'm leary of those who blow it off as "corporate welfare". Too easy to say without further examination. The so-called 'handouts' don't all meet the welfare definition. (not sayin' that's what yer sayin') While I'd agree they've had numerous handouts, they've also benefitted from investment capital and tax free loans. Quebec has invested in the company. I wouldn't point to that money as a handout because the pension fund will get a return if, and, or when the CSeries turns a profit.

The Business Development Bank hands out all kinds of dough to all kinds of entrepreneurs with no expectation of a return. None. Not one cent.
Pizza joints, B&Bs, Sports bars, you name it. The number of failures wouldn't likely surprise either one of you. For me, unlike dozens of these other businesses, I think BBD has a reasonable chance to succeed with their new aircraft.

I also understand the pressure they're under regarding pricing. But IMHO, A & B are under the same pressure to 'fire sale' product because of the threat BBD poses. Otherwise, there'd be no Max or NEO.

Good luck to them.

Willie