PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nacelle fins?
Thread: Nacelle fins?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2001, 03:25
john_tullamarine

Hi Zeke,

It appears that I may have lit your wick, somewhat. Although this discussion, while still related to VG considerations, might now be the subject of another thread, to comment briefly -

(a) In real life aeroplanes, CG has a measurable bearing on stall speed (which, rather than alpha, is the normal pilot's practical concern). Certification (ie AFM) figures usually are determined for maximum forward CG. Recovery character is critical for aft CG. Removal of a control device has a material affect on configuration - hence my inference based on the reported MEL CG restriction.

A simplistic reading of FARs can be rather misleading. One also needs to review FAA regulatory and flight test advisory data (ie the FAA's thoughts on what the rules might mean). In addition, one always needs to be cautious in that the current rule may be materially different to the rule applying at the time at which the Type design standards were frozen.

I was not suggesting that flow control on the nacelles would have anything much to do with direct stall protection - only that such considerations may be very relevant to setting CG limits which, in turn, have an affect on stall character.

(b) OEI considerations may well be quite relevant - unless a Douglas contributor perhaps wishes to comment, we probably cannot resolve that one.

(c) Re CG envelopes, load factor, agreed, is one consideration - but your comment ignores the very significant aft CG limit restriction in utility category, which has not a great deal to do with load factors.

(d) Does not your comment re nacelles influencing upstream flow contradict your previous position ?

(e) I have no difficulty with your comments regarding where upwash and downwash live, breed and have social gatherings - aerodynamics was my first engineering discipline and I have done my share of analysing tunnel data.

(f) Nacelle pressure/force distribution is a complex matter and the forces so obtained, agreed, are not insignificant. However, I suggest that the main contributor to vertical lift at alpha in the realworld aircraft is the normal lift force at the front of the nacelle, rather than simple considerations of upwash flow fields.

(g) I merely presumed from his/her details, that Spinash flys for Impulse.

For my own interest in interpreting your comments, do you have an extensive PE background ?