PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Road trip - Calgary to Santa Monica
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 04:15
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Day 4 - Moab UT to Winslow AZ

Phan54,

Glad you like the pictures. Your name reminded me that I've got a couple of photos from the Hill AFB Museum that I must post on Phantom Friday. I'm also pleased you got the Roger Bacon reference.

Another non-aeronautical day, but bear with me - I'll make up for it on Saturday.

380 miles today, slightly longer than the direct route, due to a couple of detours. I think driving in the West alters your sense of scale. Shortly after leaving Moab, I reached this sign:

"Hmm, only 44 miles there and back to Needles Overlook. Just a short detour!"

It was worth it. This is the Colorado River valley, BEFORE it becomes the Grand Canyon:

Once I had left Utah and was in Arizona, driving through the Navajo Nation, I realized I was going to pass very near Canyon de Chelly, so I drove in to have a look. Spectacular:

My detours meant I didn't make it to Meteor Crater, so I stopped for the night in Winslow, a town that is dying on its feet. I got a good motel room for $39!

Well if you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way, take the highway that's the best
Get your kicks on Route 66.
Just before Winslow, I saw my first police car on the highway after 1500 miles of driving - an Arizona Highway Patrol officer writing up a speeding ticket.

Last edited by India Four Two; 21st Feb 2022 at 19:37. Reason: Removed PhotoBucket logos