PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S76 down in Lagos discussion (Not condolences)
Old 16th Aug 2015, 14:49
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
I have to say that I am a little baffled by some of the comments in respect of pre flight inspections. I can't work out how they relate to the accident in question.

Sticking to the S76, what good does looking solely under the engine cowling do? The most likely area for trouble to develop that would really spoil your day would be under the main transmission fairing, after all you have two engines. A loose article in this area could be catastrophic. I would happily lend any pilot who wanted to inspect this area a screwdriver with which to take out the umpteen screws that hold the fairing providing he is going to put them all back in again. The access panels provided give a very restricted view of the area.

The dangers of climbing onto the top of the 76 should not be dismissed. The walkway areas on either side of the aircraft are small and curved, even with non slip paint they can be lethal when wet.
In recent times at least one enginer has been killed in a fall from the top of a helicopter.
Do we want to expose crews to this possibilty?

Like most things in life there has to be a balance between safety and practicality.
The pilots have a preflight inspection schedule and should stick to it. If unhappy get it changed.

As one senior member of staff was heard to say on a very foggy day with the hangar full of aircraft, "that is what I like to see 100% safety"!!!!