PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2015, 21:41
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XL A320 LOC

Originally Posted by infrequentflyer789
Exactly - and that is why it has precisely nothing to do with a supposed design issue with C* in stall - they were not in C* in stall.
Would you like to check your facts sir?
The first stall occurred in Normal law and caused a drop to Direct law.
The stall at the top of the steep climb occurred in abnormal attitude law, which is also a degraded form of C* Law.
If XL (and G-THOF) illustrate any design flaw it is with underslung engines, not C* - but in my opinion every design decision has compromises, no design is perfect in every scenario, and what it really illustrates is the perils of trying to recover a pitch upset by adding thrust when your thrust line is below COG.
Granted the underslung thrust line does not help the pitch up situation, but I think you are giving it too much credit. The little A-4 Skyhawk I used to fly had a THS also and it would do a dandy tailstand if the trim ran away nose up and that aircraft had the thrust line through the cg (or close enough). It is the THS being out of position that is the hazard, the underslung engines are just an additive problem. You expect the engine effects. You do not expect the unresponsive THS which may also be trimmed well away from normal airspeed range.

From what I can see, C* works a treat when it is working right. It is just that when it doesn't have correct inputs that is can be a handful to corral, particularly for the weak stick jockeys. For oldtimers such as myself, C*U is probably more intuitive, but FBW in general is extremely dependent on its data inputs for proper operation. How such degradation is detected and presented to the crew is an area that can still stand further examination and improvement.