PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visibility for Minima-measurement n evaluation
Old 15th Jan 2015, 08:33
titaniumwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Intruder,

I try to put this as clearly as I can. What this idea is trying to illustrate is only on the visibility part of the minimums.

Say weather is reported at 2km and this is measured by the standard equipment on the ground. What this theory is saying is from the point of view of a pilot in an aircraft which may be moving at 140kt this 2km visibility reported will yield different visibility with and without precipitation. Pilot actually "see" less in precipitation in 2km visibility with precipitation. This reduction in visibility is worse if the precipitation is heavier and the aircraft moves faster.

Correlate this to driving or biking. Do you experience a drop in visibility with increased speed?

Anyone can affirm or deny this theory with experience or technical explanation? Anyone ever come across the term dynamic visibility? Believe me, I am a true proponent to KISS though I never want to get on the wrong side of the biggest enemy-weather. We are now talking about the evaluation of weather.