PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guide to obtaining a JAA PPL in the US (part 1)
Old 9th Dec 2014, 14:52
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, this is a bit weird. A user on another forum posted this:

But, last week I received an email from the FSDO telling me that I also need to apply through the FAA International Visitor Program. I can't simply turn up at the FSDO, non-US citizens now require a background check before they can set foot on any government property!
(I'd include full credits but I'm not sure the mods allow links to that other forum on here. Try Google instead.)

Upon further investigation, it seems there is now a new, relatively simple background checking process for any foreign visitors that want to visit a US government property. This apparently includes the front desk of an FSDO, if you want to pick up your FAA "piggyback" license. And may include other government facilities that you may need to visit in conjunction with flying in the US.

Here's the FAA link:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...airs/visitors/

It's not clear to me what the extent of this program is. I would imagine that the front desk of any government facility would be excluded, and that something like this would only be required if you "go behind the scenes". Anyone knows more about this?