PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2014, 11:54
PerAsperaAdAstra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may be a dumb query, I fly small stuff for my daily crust, but, 447 and I think it was Condor Air accident Blocked (static ports) interest me. I can understand at alt airspeed in terms of Mach No is important, due to overspeed with Mach crit causing buffet etc. However why does the computer air data program attach quite so much importance to pitot static airspeed? If you have an AOA reading, it just seems to me if the system was programmed to follow the age old Golden Rule of Power+ Attitude=Performance, surely both of those accidents may not have occurred? Again power setting coupled to an AOA readout, would that not be a pretty reliable system as a backup?

I know in 447's case it was complicated by the flight mode it defaulted to, trimming the stab fully nose up, best chance for recovery was at incipient stage, just release back pressure, if only they had known, once in a fully developed deep stall, it would have taken some radical pitch attitudes to recover, at night IMC, not understanding what was happening, that would be a big ask of any crew.