PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 25th May 2014, 07:49
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

smudge your indulgence is not only forgiven but welcomed by me at least as this thread has become one about personal experiences. Yes this is supposed to be about RAF 'K' Hercs but I think a little diversion here and there can be allowed. To stop it getting out of hand may I suggest that we only post personal pics, that is those we have taken or those we were involved in when taken by others. We may then not be overloaded by commercial file and library pics which are readily available elsewhere as these personal ones are specific to this thread.
Another pic from my time on 48 at Changi. This is also the first of sequence. This is an airdrop on Op Burlap. This was a relief operation to what was then East Pakistan, now Bangladesh after the annual floods. We airdropped and also airlanded supplies.
The local customs authorities wanted to charge us duty on the relief supplies, on the fuel in the tanks and the oil in the engines ! They also tried to insist that before we airdropped we had to land and offload the supplies for customs inspection. If we had they would still be there now.
The local labour force wanted us to pay them for assisting with the offload.
A subsequent pic will show how we responded.
My neighbour was an RAF photographer and keen to fly on one of our trips. He came on this one and this sequence of pics are his work