PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 19th May 2014, 20:17
pbk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RAF did actually use JATO, but possibly only once. The 'cans' that were used were in one of the sqdn crew rooms at Rompers (dont ask which one, the sqdns were just a blur to Linies).

The auto pilot wasnt in use in the 1st year or so, think it might have been short of the locking unit. It wasnt scrounged from the Vulcan, it was merely a different version of the Smiths Mk 10 series,Vulcan, Victor, Argosy(?) used MK10A, Albert used MK10B (IIRC).

Always wondered why they didnt use MFS instead of C12, HSI etc, MFS seemed to me to be more reliable than the American fit except maybe for the MFS Beam Compass;I certainly spent more time changing C12 and MD1 gyros on the Herc than the MFS vertical and azimuth gyros on Vs. I spent 3 years at 30 M.U. stripping and rebuilding C12s and MD1s at 2 per week each and only changed a couple of azimuth and vertical gyros in 9 yrs working on the line at Waddo, Scampton and Marham. Smiths stuff was definitely better quality and could be paid for in stirling rather than greenbacks which was definitley a huge issue at the time.

MFS was fitted to Argosies and SFS to Britts as well as the Vulcan/Victor 2s, so was still an up to date system when the Herc was ordered;perhaps someone can explain the C12/HSI, MD1/ADI fit on Albert?