PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2014, 10:55
Captain Spam Can

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason ADM takes home £5500 as a TRE as he says, he puts the max amount into the share schemes BAYE and SAYE and puts 25% of his salary into his pension....I'm guessing to stay below the £100k mark.

Just to put my '2 cents' in with an unbiased opinion, I'm an EZY SFO on an 'old contract' command coming up. It's a good life at both, at EZY (regional base) I have good roster stability vary rarely have changes and rarely get called off standby, usually work 3-4 days a week, good mix of routes from 4 sectors to long 2 sectors, good pay and bonus's, work with great people and all things going well an early command this year. However that command will be in Gatwick which i have heard is a busy base, and for some people they say the best the job is just a line captain no stress or worries, well I'm quite ambitious and it's a long time 30 plus years in the same role.

Now this is the BA thread not BA or EZY thread, I haven't worked at BA just know what I've read from here and usual 'mates' who work there. BA pay is actually better due to the duty payments from being away, okay your spending it down route that's what it's there for but putting SFO EZY against FO BA side by side it's a few hundred more at BA. At BA my friends do work very hard up to 6 on due the shortages of A320 f/os. Pension is also better at BA.

My honest opinion is life at BA short haul prob isn't as good as EZY, however overall BA is better long term let's face it if your 35 and younger, as there's more opportunity in the company to switch fleets, see the world, go into training and recruitment as an f/o, and feel proud to fly the flag.

It's horses for courses but overall BA is a legacy carrier and the terms are slightly better, and if you want to go long haul there is no comparing. If you do get into BA And EZY or You are in EZY and get into BA let's face it your in a good secure position and lucky to have that choice.

For me like for like pay isn't a factor as it works out about the same over a career, but it does come down to lifestyle and if you want to see the world and fly differnt aircraft go to BA, if you want to be home most nights and are happy short haul then it's EZY.

Btw I'm looking at BA when they recruit, it costs nothing to apply and see what's on offer, you can only make the choice if your lucky to get the job and that applies to any airline you apply for.

Last edited by Captain Spam Can; 12th May 2014 at 12:09.