PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2014, 00:44
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some very interesting arguments here, and there are some good points well made on both sides. ManUtd1999 - there are plenty of opportunities at easyJet for those that want them. I would also say that roster stability is generally very good and the picture being painted by some others here is not the norm and certainly not my own experience. The reason I joined easyJet was because I thought my previous airline was about to be taken over by BA and I just did not want to work there (Heathrow, time away, time to command, 'being a number', etc). That is an entirely personal view, but I have never regretted my move to easyJet, who have been excellent to work for from my point of view. It would be very difficult, however, for me to say to a young pilot of, say, 25 years old, to stay at easyJet and not go to BA. I do not think that a lifetime on 5/3/5/4 is supportable long term, but I would also have to say that being away from home as much as you are at BA is also potentially catastrophic for married and family life. I think the financial analysis some posts back is pretty accurate - you will take some years at BA these days to get back the financial gain at easyJet, but over a career working for BA is still better financially than at easyJet. The 14.5 percent pension contribution is also incredibly attractive. As a TRE at easyJet I take home about £5500 a month (I am paying £375 into share scheme/25 percent into pension pot) plus I get a one-off 15% bonus annually plus various extra titbits here and there. Of particular note is the excellent share scheme which is about to generate £55k in cash for a £9k contribution - a good return that will probably never be repeated. Nonetheless, BA pilots are well paid and my TRE salary will not be a million miles off that of a BA SFO.

I think there is a powerful but indefinable attraction for many young people about working at BA that we can never really offer in terms of kudos. Also the potential range of flying is much better than relentless short haul. Offsetting that, our fixed-pattern roster, regional bases (if you can get one!) and very pleasant working environment with cabin crew etc is a big selling point for easyJet. That said, it is a very brave man indeed who turns down a job at BA, and in the event few people ever do. There clearly are going to be recruitment opportunities in the near future at BA and many, but not all, of those selected will come from easyJet, who are a known quantity with a guaranteed product. It does not do it for me, but for any young person it would be a massive decision to turn down the opportunity to work for the national carrier. Given that there is no bond and a BA 320 pilot can probably go anywhere he wants afterwards if he does not like it, there would seem to be little to lose and everything to gain by going there. Where the decision is less clear would be for those pilots with current commands elsewhere in their 30s and thinking of what to do with themselves in the future. I would be very wary of giving up a command at that age to go to 15 years in the RHS. It is ultimately horses for courses, and no one is right or wrong in their choice - it is just what fits in with the individual's aspirations and circumstances. There are very few people who go to BA who seem to regret it, so again that tells a story that is hard to ignore. Frankly, if you are in the fortunate position of trying to work out if you want to give up a command at easyJet to be an FO at BA, you are in a great place and many, many people would love to have those sort of choices available to them. Good luck to all those nibbling at the BA door, which appears to be standing ever so slightly ajar.