PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2003, 19:21
tabdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicopters in Kenya

I returned to UK after 6yrs flying a C208 in support of humanitarian aid in East & Central Africa. I was based in Nairobi and I am a helicopter pilot. There is not a lot of helicopter activity in Kenya or in that part of the world because the distances are large and the countries are very well served with "Bush" airstrips. Anyone who can afford to fly is likely to have property which will have an airstrip or room to build one and if they live in Nairobi and want to fly out, there is bound to be an airstrip at their destination. Labour is very cheap so taxis cost next to nothing to meet you at an airstrip. Historically there have always been lots of light aircraft. The game parks have airstips and low level flight over the parks is forbidden. KWS (Kenya Wild Life Service) have an airwing which has/had a Longranger and Hughes 500 in addition to a C208 and various tail-draggers. There are a couple of private AS350s and the odd Jetranger and B47. I'm sure helicopter numbers will increase in the future. The military have a few helicopters that are occcasionally to be seen flying and the police have a few old Russian machines which spend most of their time in the hangar or sunning themselves outside! I think the word "corruption" featured in their procurement!