PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2014, 00:44
FlightDream111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The future of ELT and tracking

Thinking of the future, what can be done about FDR/CVR? Maybe there should be several devices, synched, one fixed as at present and two ejected by force - compressed gas, spring, or a small pyrotechnic charge? The technology is off the shelf and has been for decades in 'cluster bomb' systems which survive incredibly high forces. One to my knowledge survives > 100,000g (sic). We cannot accept the present designs as fit for purpose.
Great question. it seems ludicrous to assume anything will wok perfectly in a crash, including ELT systems.

Firstly let me say I am not a pilot, however there are some common-sense options that we can all see, and have been suggested before.

I have been for a long time advocating a live video feed of the cockpit and tailcam video streaming to a remote black box - something like Skype . It can be done today. Many airlines host internet facilities.

Failing this we should have an on - all - the -time ELT tracking system - satellite based. When it stops, we know there is a problem, and any time the signal is lost it should be the subject of an immediate investigation and intercept by the closest air force.

Also, mandate the immediate notification of loss of online tracking of any aircraft to the relevant military and handover to military radar tracking for resolution.

Mandate the carrying on person of a satellite tracking device on the pilots and flight crew.

Many ideas, all been said before, it is upto the ariline industry to step up to the plate and start giving us passengers some assuarance that they can take better care of us.