PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 14th Mar 2014, 08:14
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Special25;

Don't forget that the pilot in the Bournemouth crash was flying a night approach in poor weather to a well equipped airport and didn't have an IR.
Mathew Harding was a departure from an airfield at night/marginal conditions in an unstabilised 355 (no autopilot, floppy stick) And Phillip Carter departed from an airport to a very well equipped HLS and something went wrong, and we still await the outcome of Peter Barnes crash.

There is nothing intrinsically unsafe about operating to private sites at night, so long as they are well equipped (decent lighting etc), the pilots are familiar and you can safely make a visual approach/departure (weather etc). Skip one out of that list and it all becomes a rather different matter.

I'd have to check my log book for exact numbers, but this winter I've probably done it 20 times, and the final say is very much with the pilot, one shred of doubt and we're off to the nearest airport.

SND