PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoulder injury question.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2014, 18:27
Ulster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a serving UK Military pilot and have recently been grounded with a fairly minor muscular/ligament shoulder injury. It does not disable me significantly, but does give me some impingement and instablility in the joint. I am grounded because wearing heavy helmets, NVGs and survival equipment is exacerbating the injury
Temporary absences for this kind of minor musculoskeletal injuries are everyday stuff in civilian flying. Obviously slightly easier for civilians because they have less of the heavy equipment to carry or wear ! Full strength and range of movements (sufficient to operate all controls, etc) would be required before a return to duties after such an injury or operation.

I don't really think this episode would have much significant effect on your long-term fitness to hold an unrestricted EASA class 1. Neither would most employers look any further into the past history than simply to check that you do have a valid class 1 certificate.

I do hope you don't end up being "forced" to have surgery, especially if it were against your own wishes ! Good luck with your recovery !