PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What in the name of bloody blue blazes is a Payment Wall?
Old 12th Jan 2014, 01:44
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
What in the name of bloody blue blazes is a Payment Wall?

It's been a bad day. Nothing but nothing will go right. All I wanted to do was watch BBC iPlayer in a comfy chair. Not too much to ask. After all, I pay my UK license and then leave it unrequited in an empty house while I'm in the heat of Texas. I just wanted to see the Ipcress file. (I know. Sad) My office has the expat thing, and the morals are covered by the fact I've paid, and paid, and paid, for 50 plus years, now please let me see Q#$%#$ BBC iplayer.

I can, but only on my office PC. This lump of metal I have puts out a fantastic picture on my 50" telly box. But iplayer quickly falls foul of a screen wanting money. Payment wall is in the tab. Hotspot shield is what it's called. I would watch them all slide into a sinkhole rather than pay the 4.99 the %!$ want. per month to do what this PC does for free.

I've reloaded Expat Shield. Killed the bar. Loaded and run Malware Bytes OH, and here's a thing. It found 98 things marked with a green bug and PUP. What's PUP? Is it a generic term, or did I have 98 infestations? On the free version, I had to pick 98 #@%$^&##%^&#%& boxes to rid myself of them. There was no way to select all. anyway, I did. And they're gone. But the damnable screen with a demand for $4.99 is still there.

Well, I guess I'm defeated. Nearly nine PM and dinner's on fire, and I still have no idea how technology could force me to sit in an office chair while I have an $80 charity shop recliner in front of a big telly.