PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2013, 22:06
Up-into-the-air

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Mrdak [Mrdac] papers

The following is from the Monday Senate estimates, which gives the answer we need.

Albo had the advice from casa and atsb, via Mrdak on 5th June 2013.

Parliament was sitting that week and not prorogued until 5th August 2013

Why did Albo:
  • Not answer and report to the Parliament?
  • Run away from the Prime TV reporter when asked about this?
Certainly plenty of time to answer Mr. Albanese.

From Hansard for 18th November 2013

Senator LINES: I realise that you cannot necessarily provide us with details about briefings and submissions to ministers but I am interested in what has been provided to ministers.

Mr Mrdak: The department provides an extensive range of advice on all matters covered by portfolio responsibilities.

CHAIR: Including two-dollar cockups by the previous government, I presume.

Mr Mrdak: We do provide extensive advice on all portfolio matters, and clearly that has been occurring since the swearing in of ministers.

Senator LINES: How many briefings and submissions have you made?
Mr Mrdak: I would have to take that on notice. It would be a rather large number, I would imagine.

Senator LINES: I would want to know how many were information briefs and how many were decision briefs.

Mr Mrdak: We provide briefs to ministers which require action in terms of decisions. I can take on notice how many briefs have been provided.

Senator FAWCETT: The last time we met in estimates, you were anticipating giving a brief to former minister Albanese about the Senate report into air accident investigations. You anticipated giving that to him, I think, within 10 days of the date of the estimates.

Could you confirm what date the department did provide that brief for action to the minister?

Mr Mrdak: Following our conversation at the 29 May estimates, I provided advice to the minister on 5 June 2013.

Senator FAWCETT: Did that have recommendations for a response to the Senate report?

Mr Mrdak: It provided advice on the Senate report, including options for handling of the Senate inquiry report, yes.

Senator FAWCETT: Did it flag the fact that there were safety implications raised in the Senate report?
Well Albo certainly had the report.