PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB Concerned over Military Control Loss of Separation Events
Old 21st Oct 2013, 04:17
Duane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an Ex WLM controller, tbh im surprised the report isnt more scathing.

Whilst I was at WLM i constantly wondered if today was the day for a serious incident. My job was to go in every day and prevent it from happening and keeping multiple customers happy. The response by defence was pretty typical of what the problem is, but lack the upper level management vision or courage to fix the issue.

Controlling at WLM is hard. Its hard because SIDS and STARS dont exist, if you are controlling something it is on a vector, the aircraft within the airspace travel at vastly different speeds. You only have 25nm of airspace and dont get a 'handoff' for military aircraft returning from the training areas (that are on occasion doing 500kts or more at 25nm to run) That is impossible to sequence.

The defence controllers there in my opinion to a pretty damn good job given what they are being asked to accomplish. They however are not being given the resources required to do it. And herein lies the problem. WLM has been understaffed since it began doing 16/7 operations. This affects controllers time on console (per shift), how long a break they get (between time on console), what sort of recreation leave they get.

Given all that, WLM controllers in particular are working too hard, controlling for too long, are getting inadequate breaks and on top of all that, not getting the Rec leave they deserve. This makes a fatigued controller, and fatigued controllers make more errors.

Defence could rectify the issue by posting in some staff to relieve the control and administration burden currently being placed on controllers (and managers) but since WLM has been functioning as a 16/7 airfield, defence leadership has simply failed to do it, and its continuing failure to do so is the biggest threat to aviation safety at Williamtown.

A disclaimer: My experience was when I left that the current management at the unit was doing the best job that they could given the situation they were placed in by both the upper management and the previous management. This issue isnt going to be fixed by a stern talking to by the CO/OC of the Squadron/Wing, they need to actually do something to help the current workforce, not just expect them to ride out the storm that the controllers posted into Williamtown saw when they got there, and will probably remain there when they leave.