PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Rudder Trim on short final
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2013, 14:04
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked for it in our FCTM and found no suggestions in it for rudder trim use with all engines operative. So as ahramin said in his first reply: "If you are having to push on a pedal to keep the aircraft straight, trim until you no longer have to push the pedal. That's what the trim is for." The topic could have been closed at that point.

On one engine our FCTM says: "To make the landing run easier, the rudder trim can be reset to zero in the later stages of the approach. On pressing the rudder trim reset button, the trim is removed and the pilot should anticipate the increased rudder force required. With rudder trim at zero, the neutral rudder pedal position corresponds to zero rudder and zero nose wheel deflection."

Personally I do not reset the rudder trim to zero when disconnecting the A/P on single engine scenario in the sim. Most of my colleagues however do it somewhere on final! Airbus does not tell you you should do it, but suggest that you CAN do it. Next time in the sim, time permitting, try it and see what you prefer.

Fly3 suggest to reset it to zero during the flare. I admit I haven't tried that (not going to either), but I would think that is not very good advice. Better do it somewhere on final, rather then having to adjust to a changing rudder trim when you're just about to touch down!