PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 14:48
FLEXPWR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DavidH

Ok, I'll be a bit more specific.

Cultural values come for an infinity of different reasons. Overcoming cultural values with "operational values" is al nice on paper.

I have not said the cultural background IS/WAS a cause for the accident.

You are thinking exactly like a westerner: "I can place operational value above cultural values". This is not the case in many countries. Think for a moment that westerners, as a general rule, have the freedom of speech, the freedom to say they think their president is an idiot, and the right to propest and march down the street. Westerners are born with this.

The story is very different when you consider the same situation in China as an example, but former Russia would do as well, there are many countries you can pick from. You do not protest against your government (even social media will be deleted) you do not challenge authority, only if behind closed doors with friends or family, or you might be prosecuted, harassed, or your career might take a turn for the sour. With this in the cultural background, go tell a Chinese/Korean that he/she can complain freely, and watch their reaction.

The unfortunate events in Poland where from a military flight, with military personnel. As above, you do not challenge authority for fear of undesired consequences. Again, cultural background.

To get back to our horses, I do hope they take CRM seriously, but CRM is not just on paper, it has to be explained and applied at all levels, not just in cockpits.

As a side note, the company I'm in has no CRM course, no CRM documentation, no CRM instructors, and of course no CRM accident/incident review... it is just mentionned on ops manual that good CRM should be applied while on duty... and this is one of the top 5 airlines in China.

And I don't see how I am offending anyone here, except you, maybe, feel offended that I disagree?

Last edited by FLEXPWR; 8th Jul 2013 at 14:55.