PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharky Watch LIVE
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 14:40
PhilipG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spaz, I was trying to pick up the point that ORCA was making, if there is a surge of planes and pilots to the carrier in time of tension, it is perfectly possible that a pilot takes off heavily laden in the day light goes some distance, the plane exhibits a fault/ the conflict comes to an end / he is retasked from his primary mission and needs to reconfigure and returns to a carrier in sea state 6 with say Storm Shadows under his wings and 1,000 bombs both on the wings and carried internally.
As I understand it there is no way this plane can land back on a CVF vertically, a rolling landing is called for. Woops sorry never done one for real, sorry I will have to dump two Storm Shadows and 4*1,000 lb smart bombs to get back to the carrier. Carrier crews need to be carrier qualified is what I am saying, yes the Falklands showed that RAF crews could deploy to Hermes and Invincible, where all Harrier landings were vertical as was practiced regularly by the RAF.
As far as the software and other aids, yes I am sure that they help going down the experience curve of attaining carrier landing skills, I do assume though that you are not suggesting as you post seems to that hands free landings are possible in all conditions, or are you?