PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharky Watch LIVE
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 12:48
SpazSinbad

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm not going to feign unwarranted concern. SRVL trials with UK F-35Bs aboard CVF will not occur until 2018. Until then the concept will be tested as much as possible in both simulation and ashore - with some obvious limitations. It is best to keep in mind that the fall back IF SRVLs became an accepted practice aboard CVFs (this is not clear today but may be in the future as indicated) then given conditions that make an SRVL not safe - a Vertical Landing will be carried out. Best to dump a cheap weapon than put the ship, the crew, the aircraft and the pilot at risk during an SRVL when a good ole VL will do it every time. Those conditions will be worked out. I take comfort that this SRVL has been under development now for more than a decade. It is obvious to me that if it was not a worthwhile operation that interest in it would have waned by now. There are many years to go until an SRVL can be conducted on CVF with wind straight down the axial deck (a limitation of shore based SRVL practice for a start).

It has been stated that SRVLs will be safe in Sea State 6 conditions (possibly only by day but who knows). All this will be sorted by practical experience in five years time.

It has also been made clear time and time again now by all the pilots who have used the FMS then flown the actual aircraft that the simulations are as accurate as they have ever experienced. There has even been comment that a VL in the sim is more difficult than the real life VL. I can only go on these public statements myself.

'PhillipG' said: "...I am not 100% sure that I would like to see a pilot make his first night landing on a pitching deck when bringing back a heavy and expensive weapons load...." Why on earth do you think a pilot will ever be in this situation? Pilots will be tasked according to their experience and ability - which will improve over time. A pilot making their first night landing will be carrying out a VL. After that will come night SRVLs if these are warranted. Before that will be many simulation rides and of course daytime flying before going out there at night.

Bear in mind the 'day for night' capability of the HMDS II/III night vision which will improve pilot confidence in what they can see out there compared to how it is all black (without NVGs) these days. Factor in the JPALS assisted Bedford Array gizmos which may well supplant IFLOLS even on CVNs if it is so deemed, then things look great for all round day/night any weather (within defined limits) F-35 ops.

Of course every aspect of F-35 ops will be refined with more testing and experience. It is a marvellous time for F-35 pilots and they know it.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 26th Jun 2013 at 12:51.