PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharky Watch LIVE
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2013, 09:25
PhilipG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simulation of what?

Spaz and White Ovies, thank you for your replies, I appreciate that it is part of Plan A that a large amount of training will be done in Sims, this would of course be fine if anyone knew how the F35B and indeed the other types did actually perform in flight. As I understand it there was a simulator that allowed F35Cs to catch a wire on a QEC carrier, as far as I am aware it had not been demonstrated that the F35C can catch a wire on a carrier.
Once the concurrent flight testing and development has been completed, the software is a war fighting version and the computing hardware in the plane is as planned updated, as well as the actual proof of concept of SRVL actually having been demonstrated and exhibited reliably on a QEC or other large deck, I am sure that an accurate sim can be programmed and used as a training aid.
I am not 100% sure that I would like to see a pilot make his first night landing on a pitching deck when bringing back a heavy and expensive weapons load.
Only time will tell what is the safest way to ensure that pilots can land safely on a QEC in any conditions.