PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Mil Control Tower designs
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2013, 07:45
Wensleydale

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Just out of interest, why can't it be listed?
Ref Waddington's WW2 tower. All hearsay and rumour! My understanding is that there are too many of them in existence and it is not particularly old. The other problem with listing is that there is no money to preserve it! (and yes, I believe that there have been enquiries to English Heritage/lottery etc in the past).

It would be really nice to move it to a position near the Waddington Airfield Viewing Enclosure and use it as a café and photography platform (similar to Wickenby's excellent little watch office) - now that would be really expensive!

Wyton ATC was/is of a similar design. SATCO wanted to change the office
layout so arranged to have an internal wall knocked through. "No probs" said
Works chappie "it'll take a morning, day tops". 10 days constant jackhammering
later they got through!!!! What have they been doing at Waddo??!
The Waddington tower has bushes growing out of the masonry! I have also heard the "asbestos" word mentioned although I have seen nothing written down. At the end of the day, there is no money and seemingly no serious willingness to preserve it. My suspicion is that Station would prefer it to fall down so that money can then be allocated and the space on the waterfront re-used. I must admit, however, that I would prefer any heritage buildings money to stop rain water leaking through the roof into the Waddington Heritage Centre (contained in the old WW2 NAAFI - "the Ravens Club"). This would allow some nice original aircraft paintings to be displayed!