PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA/CAA/CASA/ICAO conversion to FAA
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2013, 07:36
custardpsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unaware of point 2, unless that is a very recent requirement, no C of R required that I am aware of - can you point to any official info on that ? My last 61.75 was a year or so ago.

You don't get any notification from gatwick. You send the SRG forms to gatwick and a form to the FAA. FAA send gatwick a request and they reply , (once a week in a batch apparently) and you are not involved in that part of the process

It is a little time consuming so allow a month or a bit longer but it can be done in as little as two or three weeks.

Once you have the fax from Oklahoma you need to go to a US FSDO or a FAA designated foreign pilot examiner - the FSDO is free but a DPE will charge, most, if not all, FSDOs now operate an appointment system and you can't schedule the appointment until you have the fax. Don't get hung up about which FSDO to put on the form, if you change FSDO or go to a DPE oklahoma will just resend the fax to your new choice

For the record, the alternative is to do the written and use your foreign licence and hours to qualify you for the FAA PPL checkride. That route takes a bit longer and some test prep will be required but you get a lifetime standalone FAA PPL that way. Thats what I did in the end. Hope this is useful

Last edited by custardpsc; 9th May 2013 at 07:39.