PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMS vulnerabilities highlighed at Net Security conference
Old 13th Apr 2013, 10:16
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IanW,
If I have exploit code inside the Common Core System, then I put the characters I want into the FMS keyboard buffer storage area in the CCS followed by a return and it executes just as if the crew had entered it.
But surely these systems are fundamentally embedded and the requirements static. By that I mean the instruction pointers do not reference working memory and there is no need for dynamic memory allocation.

In addition, I would have thought the operating system at the hardware level would not permit any code to be executed that has not been verified or validated through some kind of checksum to guard against memory corruption (for whatever reason). Never mind the basic issue of illegal memory address access.

Basic input validation? Just assuming by some staggering improbability that somebody didn't think of this during the design, implementation and test stages of development, whatever clever stuff one can think of to screw the receiving software over, getting foreign instructions to execute just is not going to be possible by any measure, never mind ACARS access.

Even disregarding all that, the whole fundamental basis for Teso's assertions, as he states in the slide pack, is the ability to audit the code to look for vulnerabilities, and I can't see how he or anyone else without a role directly related to development of the relevant elements of the source code, would ever get access to the source.

Like the Apple hack (it wasn't even a hack) mentioned earlier, just flimflam. I find it incredibly frustrating how the media choose to frame these stories.