PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA/CAA/CASA/ICAO conversion to FAA
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2013, 15:36
che ci dò che ci dò!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear all,
I've a JAA ATPL and A320 PIC rating with 5000 hours on type and I'd like to get an FAA stand-alone Atpl. On this purpose, I understand the relevant FSDO will issue an FAA PPL with A320 rating but this type rating can be used only for PPL privileges (Far 61.75). In order to get a stand alone FAA Atpl, I'd have to pass the Atpl knowledge test as well as FAA practical examination. In order to get also an A320 command rating, I should attend the Atpl practical exam along with an A320 PIC rating exam in a full flight simulator but this would involve the attendance of an abbreviate A320 transition course (theoretical and practical, 5/6 sim sessions).
I'm interested in an US Atpl in order to be able to undertake ferry flights on a random basis on N-registered A320s as PIC from the US to Europe or Asia on behalf of leasing companies. This kind of operation is under part 91, therefore, to my understanding, I don't need an A320 command rating as the A320 rating which would be added to the Faa PPL certificate (with no need for practical examination) can be used to operate under part 91. On this basis, I'd need just an Atpl practical exam, even on a C172 in order to get a stand alone ATPL IR and there would be no need for a course or check ride on an A320 sim.
Is this interpretation correct?