PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WPC Indian RTR ( A ) Exam Schedule for 2013
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 04:05
cyrilroy21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@clearblueskyy

If you are at present in the US , then head over to Canada and get a Canadian CPL and RT
Then use that at the time of conversion .

If you are already in the India then clear both Part 1 and Part 2 . The advantage of clearing part 1 and part 2 is that you can get an RT license with lifetime validity and never have to worry about it ever again
When you convert a Canadian RT you will only get validity for 5 years . If you are lucky enough to find a job within the 5 years you can use the 30 hours of flying within the past 3 years to renew it without giving any exams
But you will still get in renewed only for 5 years

If you are in India and cleared all the other papers and the RT exam is the only thing that is stopping you from getting the DGCA CPL then by all means go to Canada and get it done

The RT exam is not easy and requires a significant amount of coaching from an experienced instructor for Part 1 of the exam .
For Part 2 its basically two oral exams and is more of self study
The first is with a WPC engineer who will ask you questions based on your 10th and 12th std physics ( basic concepts of electricity and electronics )
The second will be a DGCA or AAI representative who will test your aviation knowledge and ask questions on ICAO etc

You need to pass both Parts in order to be considered passed in the exam . If you pass Part 1 and fail in Part 2.....for the next attempt you will have to pass the Part 1 exam again before proceeding to Part 2

I can recommend a book by RK Bali for RTR . He has released a new 2013 edition which is available at the Sterling Book store in Mumbai ( or you can purchase online )

Word of advice . There are a lot candidates who keep thinking that Canada is an option and hence dont give the RT exams their level best .
They keep attempting the exams multiple time half heartedly and then give up . Then when they apply for a Canadian Visa and gets rejected and they are back to square one

So please give the exams your level best ( if you are attempting it )

These RT exams are designed mainly for the use of Pilots . However Aircraft Maintenance Engineers in India are also required to hold an RT and license and as you can imagine they find it quite hard ( especially Part 1 ) since they have never flown an airplane before or talked on an aircraft Radio

In my RT class there are pilots from all ranks , everyone from fresh CPL holders to airline captains ( since RTR A was valid only for 5 years for those that got it issued prior to 2010 ) to retired Air Force Pilots
There were student Aircraft Maintenance Engineers as well .

Here is quote my instructor said to us on the first day " If an AME who has never flown an airplane can pass the exams in the first attempt......why can't you ? "

P.S : Incase you are wondering I did pass in my first attempt
I think the WPC engineer really liked my answers and are what turned the tables in my favour....

Last edited by cyrilroy21; 3rd Mar 2013 at 09:27.