PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sleep deprivation detected at cellular level.
Old 1st Mar 2013, 19:10
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
I recall once boarding and aircraft and being given a copy of Scientific American. Those were the days. I had a ten hour flight and thought I'd really concentrate on the featured science of the month. It was about genetics. After a couple of hours, I realized it was totally beyond me to understand such a complex science - and that was 25 years ago.

Now, researchers somewhere are publishing every few hours, the the detail is breathtaking. Remember, it wasn't all that long ago that 'we' didn't know a cell had a membrane. I can understand that, it's only four - or was it seven - nanometers thick. Now, we find the surface is covered in mechanisms that are analogous to logic gates, and if we want to, we can look at the molecules that make the components function.

It's a new world, almost every day. How does anyone keep up with any scientific discipline?

Recently, I read about cancer cells almost randomizing parts of their code. It seemed they were more dangerous when starved of their 'food' and it was suggested a supply of the chemistry they ( or the target cell ? ) might be sated, and made not so dangerous.

Can't find it today - but it was here somewhere.

Science Daily: News & Articles in Science, Health, Environment & Technology

I read in on this every few hours. Better than sleeping tablets sometimes.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 1st Mar 2013 at 19:17. Reason: Uncommanded action of the enter key finger.