PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can BEng Graduates become B1 Licensed Maintenance Engineers?
Old 7th Feb 2013, 19:22
philw492

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banditb6: I understand where you're coming from and partly yes it answers my question, but I have been told by the RAES that there have been plenty of people in the same situation manage to get into the industry. What I want to know is how they have done it as the RAES have said is to carry on with the BEng and just try and contact as many people in airlines as possible.

My aim is to carry on and try and get the exams if possible, I have also been looking at moving abroad due to job availability and Australia is my first choice. The degree gets me in for at least 18 months without any hassle and minimal paperwork. Then with the exams I will have sat over here with the CAA will be compatible with the CASA system and will be recognised by them so I could continue my study for the licence over there. The problem I have is that no one can give me a definitive answer on what happens after university for a graduate wanting to be a licenced engineer. I am in way too far now to come out with £12,000 of debt and nothing to show for it!

The reason for me coming to PPRuNe is to see if there is anyone on here with any knowledge, advice or even someone who could help me achieve my ambition. Experience wise I have the offer of working with the same airline during my holidays for the rest of uni, however, I am always looking for more experience as I would like a broader knowledge of aircraft types to put me in a better position once I have completed the degree.

Hopefully, upon graduation I will have the degree, experience for at least 6 weeks (3 done already, 3 coming up in March) as a worst case on the Q400, E175 and E195, an Arkwright Scholarship sponsored by the Royal Air Force, a B.S.A Gold Crest Award in Engineering from working with Aero Engine Controls, six days experience working on the Boeing C-17A with the RAF and a weeks worth of experience at a UK Airport. With all this I am hoping that it is evident that from school I have been trying to broaden my knowledge and experience with the aim to show that I have thoroughly thought through which route I want to take. What I don't understand is why an apprenticeship system would not take a graduate at 21 years old who is highly motivated and has a broader knowledge of the engineering world (I like to think I have as much as I possibly could) so has chosen the exact path they want to take meaning that I am as sure as is possible that the licensed engineer route is the one I want to take.

I don't know if anyone else found this at sixth form, but careers advice seemed more to be advice on which degree to do rather than where to go. I have no idea if this was down to just my school but sixth forms for me and my friends seemed to be aiming more towards getting as many people into a university as possible rather than giving them the advice they actually wanted. Admitedly at first my aim was the RAF but I always stated a hands-on practical job was what I wanted, and as an engineer officer that is far from what the job entails. It seemed to me that the careers advisor heard aircaft and immediately thought aerospace engineering degree.