PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1930S Flight instruction
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 13:16
Turb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From "Flying for Fun" by Jack Parham, edition of 1983:

'Early in 1933, after we'd been home a month or two, I started to learn to fly the Autogiro, then in its early stages of development. They had a school at Hanworth.... I got my 'A' licence that summer at a cost of £35. .... To get to Hanworth meant 35 miles on a motorbike each way. To fly cost about a shilling a minute.... so after two years I had barely 17 hours to my name.... But it couldn't go on, so far as I was concerned. A new arrival had put the family up to 3 children. I must stop flying. I did this by learning to fly a Moth at High Post whilst we were spending three weeks in camp at Larkhill. Returning home, feeling rather like a puppy who has eaten the neighbour's shoes but with an 'A' licence endorsed grandiloquently and erroneously... 'all types of aircraft', I decided I'd now sampled the lot and would really - yes really - chuck it.'

The book then describes how he bought his single seat Aeronca in 1935 for £100 guineas including a new CofA. In the Appendix Parham states that the first 100 hours of operating the aircraft cost £28.15s.0d including all fuel, oil, and spares, but not Third Party Insurance which cost £4.15s.0d per annum.

Hope that helps.