PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Apprentice - Jet 2
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2013, 11:21
clunk1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Jet2 get money from the tax payer for their "Apprentice" pilot. This "Apprentice" must already be a fully qualified pilot. The apprenticeship will consist of no flying training or flying experience whatsoever. So after 18 months you are no more 'qualified' to start the type rating as you would be on day 1.

Don't get me wrong, 18 months in OPs will make you a better Pilot, providing you with an understanding of airline ops and more importantly an appreciation for the people in other roles and what they do. But you are NOT a "pilot Apprentice".

This is simply misleading the government into using tax payers money to pay for employees in administration roles, which in my opinion is immoral.

edit:
.....and I think the grants from the government are partly based on the age of your apprentice (older=less grant). So I woundn't be surprised if it's unofficially limited to those who will be under the age of 24 at the time of starting their Type Rating so that the company can get the grant money.....which is after all why the company is doing it under the governments "apprentice" label.

Last edited by clunk1001; 4th Feb 2013 at 12:28.