PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2013, 09:09
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Planemike: Thanks for the heads-up on the registration which, as you can see, turned-out to be spot on! It was interesting for me because G-BGKJ is a craft I have never come across before and which is hardly surprising given that she seems to have spent most of her life in the far north.

Planko: Great stuff (again)! If that is really your garden (as opposed to your field) if so may I recommend the Stihl Brushcutter or .. perhaps a small flock of sheep which could graze the area for future landings!

Its interesting to see the HF antena on "KJ". Was this common?

Bell 47 console

ShyTorque: The heater lever seems to be black and square and identified by an 'H' while the other lever is round and red with 'knobbly' bits on it. Doubtless for pilots using Braille! Anyway, well done to Adam for getting his craft safely down.

Denissimo! Great stuff! And for those interested .. there's a shot of G-BAWI on page 32.

EricFerret mentioned the former Ferranti Bölkow G-BAFD and her stay with Gleneagles but, as we know .. she went on to become 'another' Bond girl:

MBB Bo105 G-BAFD at Aberdeen's Dyce Airport in 1995 (Photo: Graeme Lovell)

'The Ferret' also made mention of Conoco and so it only seemed right to post a further 105 which flew for them and which also ended up with Bond:

MBB Bo105 G-BAMF as seen at Aberdeen's Dyce Airport on 20th August 1978 (Photo: Steve Stoneman)

Formed in the mid-1960's Management Aviation first engaged in agricultural operations until they bought their first twin, the Bo105 G-AZOR, in 1973. From then on they swiftly moved into supporting North Sea operations.

At the close of 1979 it was said that they had a fleet of some twelve Bo105's operating mainly under their subsidiary North Scottish Helicopters.

Initially an all-white scheme followed later by a dayglo red, the livery seen here on G-BAMF seems to have been a combination of the two earlier schemes.

When G-BAMF was retired in 2005 she was thought to be one of the highest time 105's anywhere in the world having amassed some 23,000 hours.