PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 Batteries and Chargers - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2013, 21:46
Romulus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
The whole battery thing reminds me of many software and iPhone/Droid folks that always want the latest and greatest apps.

No doubt that the Li-ion batteries have a greater power/density/weight capability than some of the not-so-old batteries like the nickel-metal-hydride ones. Funny, but Toyota sticks with those nickel ones for their Prius.

In a plane that weighs as much as the 787, a few pounds for an "older", but more safe battery seems a good trade-off.

In my mind, it ain't worth the extra battery capacity to require expensive charging systems and such. Then there's the requirement to have a good fire extinguishing system if one of the suckers goes into thermal runaway.
So who else do you give an extra weight allowance to so that you stick with older technology? Hindsight is a nice easy game to play but can you do it prior to the event? And how much extra weight allowance are you going to make for that "good fire extinguishing system"?

What about that new fangled carbon fibre stuff - better make sure they put double the amount of that on or perhaps just stick with aluminium. But heck, where did that aluminium stuff come from!!?? Back to wooden frames and fabric covering I say!!

Progress is progress. Undoubtedly Boeing did their testing and decided the new batteries were safe and yielded significant benefits, primarily weight saving. Now there's a problem. So they will go back and fix it.

That's how progress works.