PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sad story about a high and mighty check airman
Old 18th Jan 2013, 06:29
Gangnamstyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was alerted to this thread by a friend who said I should post my experiences with some Alteon checkers.

Some years ago I was rostered to assist as F/O for several foriegn captains consecutively over several days. I was not under check but acted as copilot to several expat captains. 2 of the captains bungled some of the check items and generally performed quite poorly but still passed. One other captain did very well eccept that he landed a bit long (about 2500-2800 ft) passed the threshod during a dual hydraulic failure case. He was given a real dressing down even thpugh it was a 13123 ft runway. As we ran out of time, it was marked as incomplete...the company considered it as a fail and he had to do the whole check all over again. Another captain did very well too, and because he did well the checker keep moving the " goal posts " so to speak...items that were recommended as waived by the previous instructor were ignored and still conducted in the check. Well he breezed through that, so the checker made some ingenious things so he finally ended with a hard landing. I knew the checker played dirty because when we did the approach preparation we had fuel to the effect of landing some 50000 lbs below max landing weight. When after the so called " hard landing ", my side vision caught sign of a fuel quantity increase of some 49000 lbs more than we had calculated. The increase in weight must have accounted for the " sudden drop " at close to touchdown! I pointed that out, but the checker just hushed me up by saying that he had configured a reset of the simulator for max landing weight for the next exercise. It was complete bs...it was our last item and so when I pointed that out, he said he is just setting up the sim weight for the next instructor taking over the sim as a courtesy!

Why did I bother to write this....because the 2 expats who passed even though they performed below par were westerners. The other 2 who had a hard time were from third world countries. I just lost my respect for that checker; my complains to our training manager was a waste of time as he said it was the 2 third worlders's misfortune and he did not want to rock the Alteon-KAL relationship when no Korean captains are involved. I was just a lowly co pilot, so I couldn't pursue the issue any further.

Now lest some people doubt my account, so be it...it is just some people just can't be honest about their fellow ethnic groups's misconduct.