PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss RJ captain "struggled" to fly without a flight director to tell him what to do
Old 11th Jan 2013, 12:33
error_401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ BOAC - a bit of facts on the RJ1H
You were right, In the incidents configuration even an AVRO needs only about 1 - 2 degrees of pitch change with respective advance of thrust levers to climb at 2'000+ fpm as it was a ferry flight. Makes for some funny pitch indications as well, especially at lower speeds. Up to 3 degrees difference to normal.

As for lowering or rising the flaps at speeds around 200 kts which is about the normal configuration speed you may expect pitch changes up to 7 - 9 degrees to keep it level and about 15 - 20 % N1 change to keep speed in level flight.

The stby attitude indicator has a center indication (a dot) where the dot covers about 2 to 2.5 degrees. The scaling on the standby att is not the same as on the EFIS. Seen from the Copilots side it shows a bit of bank due to the parallax.

Additionally, on an ILS you will have a cross-hair pointer superimposed on the standby attitude indicator to show the ILS such as these old VOR pointers in your local C172. It can be VERY DISTRACTING when changin from EFIS to standby to look "through" these pointers.

I've flown the AVRO form the RHS using the stby instruments in the SIM several times. Challenging.

The AVRO is a bit of a bit..h on pitch and roll as it is inherently unstable and needs continous attention and corrections. A hard grip with very fine corrections is what helps me. And I'll have a look all once in a while to the standby's to get the feel for them.