PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When are you required to maintain a plotting chart?
Old 8th Jan 2013, 02:15
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxy flyer
Jammed Stab

No, I don't fly or an airline, which explains the flexibility I have--corporate GLEX. I have seen plans at F430 and F450 that crossed 4 or 5 tracks--nearly impossible at any one time to orient oneself accurately in relation to a track, offset 15 nm and begin an emergency descent. Anyone overflying the system MUST NOT be a hazard to those on the tracks at lower levels in the case of an emergency. I don't object to random routes, just the difficulty of orientation in the event of a need to descend.
To be honest with you, I wonder if the risk of a collision with another IFR aircraft during an emergency descent at a randomly chosen time might be less in the above situation in oceanic with no ATC radar contact than in busy airspace under ATC radar contact. With tracks many miles apart as compared to busy airspace there are much less aircraft.

True, in busy airspace ATC can give vectors to other aircraft but that will take time to do and you will have descended several thousand feet before the first ATC instruction has been replied to and as well there may be turboprops in the mid levels as well as aircraft on climb and descent in busy airspace.

However, it does of course enhance situational awareness to have plotted out other tracks on your Oceanic flight.